Thursday, June 25, 2009

Graduation

Cameron has finished speech therapy! I can't even express the joy I felt as I sat in the meeting with his teachers on Monday. 5 years ago, when he was diagnosed with verbal apraxia (a severe speech delay), I remember Joe and I looking it up online because I was not familiar with the term. We read some harrowing statistics through tear-filled eyes and wondered what our son's potential would be to communicate. My best explanation of Cameron's speech disorder is that apraxia is similar to what a stroke patient experiences as they try to regain their speech. Getting the signal from the brain to all the muscles/parts involved in speaking is interrupted.

I remember watching Cameron's frustration as he tried to tell me what he wanted. Signs and hand gestures helped, but most of the time it was a guessing game. I remember driving in the car with him in the back seat and hearing him notice things and try to tell me about them and I couldn't understand. To pacify him, I usually said something that made him think I knew what he was talking about. I couldn't stand to inflict more frustration on him.

I remember my young Emily helping him practice his sounds. She became a good signer at a young age.

Throughout this whole journey, I learned a lot about how to be an advocate for your child and trust your motherly instinct. I try to pass that on now to anyone who asks my advice about their child. Despite my trusted pediatrician's advice to not worry and that he would be fine, I began seeking evaluations and therapy for Cameron when he was 2. These early interventions have made all the difference. His wonderful teachers and therapists in preschool and beyond have always encouraged him and helped him progress with confidence. Ms. Chris and Ms. Nancy from Y's Owl Preschool helped buoy me up on the days I felt discouraged.

Most importantly, Cameron has himself to thank. His energy and enthusiasm, while sometimes challenging as a toddler, have helped him progress so much. While some kids with these delays tend to withdraw and speak less, Cameron never quieted his inner voice trying to get out. I'm so proud of his hard work and his self-esteem that has carried him when others say unkind things.

So, Cameron, congratulations! We are so happy for your accomplishment. No more "speech homework!"

3 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

This is a tremendous accomplishment. Good for you, Laura, for being the advocate your son needs and needed. I think he looks especially cute from all his pictures. Way to go, Cameron! (Kirk and I remember going to speech therapy as children. I stuttered and he had a lisp.)

Lora Gooch said...

I remember the frustration he had when I had him in Nursury. I'm so glad he has beat it!! Way to go Cameron!

April said...

This is huge! I think as a mom it is always so difficult to watch our little ones struggle. We just want to make everything better. Congratulations to you both. a day to celebrate.